Tension has continued to rise in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State following disturbing reports that one of the teachers abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Ahoro-Esinele community has been killed by the kidnappers while still in captivity.
Community members said the news has thrown the area into panic and deep sorrow, especially among families of the abducted pupils and teachers, who are still anxiously waiting for official confirmation from security authorities regarding the fate of their loved ones.
The crisis began on Friday when armed men, reportedly moving on motorcycles, carried out coordinated attacks on two schools — Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School. The attackers invaded the schools during the day, causing chaos and forcing staff and pupils into panic before abducting several persons.
According to community accounts, about 46 people were taken away during the operation. The victims include seven teachers and 39 pupils and students, making it one of the most alarming school abductions in recent times within the state.
Among the abducted teachers were the principal and vice principal of Community High School, alongside other staff members from both affected schools. The identities of some of the victims have continued to circulate within the community, further heightening fear and uncertainty among residents.
During the attack, the armed men were also said to have carted away four motorcycles belonging to the community before fleeing the scene with the abductees into nearby forested areas.
Prior to the latest development, a distress video had emerged online in which one of the school officials made a passionate appeal to the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government, and Nigerians at large, urging urgent intervention and pleading for the safe release of the kidnapped victims without any violent rescue attempt that could endanger their lives.
The Oyo State Police Command had earlier confirmed the abduction incident, stating that it had deployed tactical units and intelligence operatives to the area in an effort to locate the victims and apprehend those responsible for the attack.
In response to the growing insecurity, Governor Seyi Makinde convened a high-level security meeting and announced that the state had entered a more coordinated and sustained phase of security operations aimed at rescuing the abducted victims and preventing future occurrences.
The governor assured residents that government agencies, in collaboration with security forces, were working tirelessly around the clock to ensure the safe return of the abducted teachers and students. He emphasized that the situation was being treated with the highest level of urgency.
Makinde further revealed that during rescue operations, members of the security team, including operatives of Amotekun, soldiers, and local hunters, encountered resistance from the attackers. Some operatives were reportedly injured, with at least one Amotekun member said to be in critical condition in the hospital.
He also confirmed the tragic killing of one of the abducted teachers, describing the incident as deeply painful and extending condolences to the affected families. He noted that the victim, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was murdered by the abductors while in captivity.
The governor explained that the state government was expanding its response beyond military action alone, stating that community leaders, traditional rulers, religious figures, and other stakeholders were now actively involved in discussions aimed at supporting rescue efforts and restoring peace.
He added that the government would begin providing daily briefings to keep the public informed on developments regarding the rescue operations and overall security situation.
Security agencies have also intensified investigations into the attack, leading to the arrest of several suspects believed to be informants and collaborators who may have assisted the attackers with logistics and intelligence.
According to the governor, about six individuals have already been arrested within the affected communities, while additional arrests have been made by other security outfits operating in the state.
Makinde also warned that criminal groups often relocate to other regions when pressure is mounted on them in their usual strongholds, stressing the importance of maintaining continuous security presence rather than temporary operations.
He further explained that the exact number of abducted persons was still being verified due to confusion in the immediate aftermath of the attack, as some parents and guardians reportedly rushed to the school to pick up their children before official accounting was completed.
He noted that a full verification process would be carried out once schools resume, after which an accurate figure of missing persons would be confirmed.
The governor reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to sustaining pressure on criminal networks until all abducted victims are safely rescued and normalcy is restored in the affected communities.
Home General News Shocking Oyo School Attack: Kidnapped Teacher Reportedly Killed, Panic Grips Community








